By Frederik Haentjens
Have wanderlust? Wondering how to solve this problem? You have a laptop and a dream, now all you need to do is discover how you can make money as an HR digital nomad. You don’t have to own a business, you can work for an employer who doesn’t care where you live, but you do need to make money online to be a bonafide digital nomad.
There will always be some risk associated with being a digital nomad – your laptop and phone get stolen, you run out of money, you can’t find a place to live, but the risk is well worth it. Become a digital nomad and live among a diverse set of cultures around the world — experience life in a new and exciting way. But remember, you will have to be organized and work hard. You won’t get bored, but you will get educated.
How can you make money as a digital nomad? It’s easy. You just need to handle a couple of issues.
- Debt and expenses. If you are in debt; it will be hard to become a digital nomad. The burden to make enough to pay your bills and live remotely is much too high, and you may be stuck without income for a week or so. Digital nomads often struggle to keep their heads above water, and the added burden of debt can be crushing.
Pay down your debt by doubling the minimum payments on high-interest rate loans and cards until they are paid off. It may take a bit of time, but you are striving for a goal this exciting.
- Income. The one big worry that digital nomads have is where is your money going to come from while traveling? You ‘re worried that you can’t find work to help you meet your obligations. You need to be prepared and handle your income in the best way possible to be able to travel as a digital nomad.
The best way is to have a passive income, but you also need diversity. You can’t rely on one single source of income, and you need multiple streams. To do that you need to find the right money-generating activity that o ca turn to all the time. A couple of ways to do is :
- Publish an ebook. Passive income can come from ebook publishing. You can use Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform for this challenge. You can create a print-on-demand book from the ebook an Amazon. Once your ebook is live and in demand, you can convert it to an audiobook using the ACX platform to publish Audibly .co.
- Start a blog. Passive income is big with bloggers. You need to understand the mechanics of marketing, and if you do this correctly; you can create a blog that will reduce income for you even when you ‘re not working.
- Provide professional services. If you are a graphic designer, lawyer, or have professional skills, you can monetize that skill by using different sites. Use work sites from Freelancer to Upwork and others that are there for you. Put your services out there for people to purchase.
- Create online courses. Passive income can come from online courses that you have developed. If you have a certain skill set, market that skill, teach pretty much anything you want. Just structure the course well, and the sales funnel you will use. Use a site like Udemy where you have someone to market your courses.
There are so many ways to make money online, and you don’t have to be in an office to work. Social media marketing is great; virtual tutoring is a skill that is in demand or teaching English to international students works well. The trick is to have a passive income machine, and skill to make money. Once you have your income source set, then get up off your couch and go traveling!
About the Author:
This article was written by Frederik Haentjens, founder of theHRnomad.com, and the author of “The HR Nomad: A remote working guidebook for HR professionals”.
In the run up for the event, exclusively for HRSE (HR Summit & Expo) we share with you a FREE Chapter from The HR Nomad.
Download FREE Chapter of HR Nomad #1
You can purchase his latest book “The HR Nomad: How to become part of The First Generation HR Digital Workers Network” at HRSE (4-6 November, Dubai) and get your copy signed by Fred directly at the event, or purchase the book now, and bring the copy for the book signing with you!